Thursday, August 27, 2015

Dream House Nightmares

In January, Matt and I had our first meeting with our architect to start planning and designing our dream home.  We are in love with our piece of property, so our hope is that in 2016, we will be able to knock down our current house and rebuild.  

Doesn't it sound like fun?

But eight months later we have gone around in circles until we ended back at square one.  The problem isn't that we don't know what we want, the problem is that we EACH know EXACTLY what we want...and our visions are worlds apart.  

I would be blissfully happy in a craftsman style bungalow complete with tons of charm, character, and quaintness.  

Matt, on the other hand, would be on cloud 9 if I would only assent to the ultra-modern, stainless steel bachelor pad that he wants. 



What does a marriage of those two visions look like?  Beats me. And our poor, sweet, patient architect...I feel like we've sent her on a wild goose chase trying to capture each of our idyllic images for our dream house.  

Two days ago, I couldn't even sleep because my mind wouldn't stop turning.  I felt discouraged and hopeless.  I didn't see how we would ever find a style of house we both could truly love. 

And that's the thing, the truth is, I don't want Matt to just say, "Fine, do whatever you want, Dara."  I REALLY don't.  My greatest desire is that we find a perfect compromise.  But I don't want either of us to feel like we are settling.  There's a difference.  

After being emotional and distraught for two days over this, I finally came to my senses (I'm just sorry it took so long).  This is not a problem.  Yes, it's a large investment.  Yes, it's our forever house.  Yes, we should be thoughtful and attentive.  But this is not a problem.  

Last night it was so clear how blessed I am to have a "problem" like this.  Matt and I have the opportunity to plan, design, customize, and hopefully actually build the house of our dreams!  How could I have lost sight of that?  How could I have let the natural frustrations of this process overwhelm the spirit of humility and gratitude I SHOULD have? 

I am excited to move forward and determined to handle the "problems" this project dishes out with grace and gratitude.  I will not neglect to remember that it's far better for me to store up treasure in heaven instead of here on earth.

2 comments:

  1. We have been designing a house with an architect and it has been ever so challenging. I really thought we were on the same page about our style. We are not in the least. I think we actually have very similar tastes to you both. We are slowly making progress and I think he is moving away from the modern.

    Jefferson @ T.J. Lamb Real Estate

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I had a chance to buy my house all over again, I would still choose the realtor that my friends recommended. I have to tell you that although they are all great, a full time realtor works full time to find the right house, get all the appointments in line, and stay ahead of any issues that could be coming on the horizon.

    Josef @ Coral Shores Realty

    ReplyDelete