Thursday, July 7, 2016

Top 10 Postpartum Must-Haves

I just had my 4th baby one month ago, and I learned a lot from my previous 2 pregnancies and postpartum experiences...for those of you doing the math, I know it doesn't add up...my 2nd pregnancy was twins. ;)  


After having my first daughter in 2011, I felt like I had been hit by a truck.  Literally.  There was so much I didn't know about postpartum life.  And most of it was terrifying.  (Why didn't anyone tell me my boobs would feel like rocks when the milk came in?!)

After having twins in 2013, I was a bit more prepared, but I learned even more.  

Now in 2016, I really think I have this weird newborn and postpartum stuff down.  So I figured it was time to make a list of my favorite and most important (in my opinion) postpartum items. I just started my postpartum fitness journey as well- you can check out this post for pictures of where I am starting!

10. Grace

You are going to need to give yourself a ton of grace.  Things are not going to go how you want them to.  You are not going to be who you thought you were.  You will not know what you thought you knew.  Rest in grace. 

9. Pads in every shape and size 

Just when you think the bleeding has stopped (because there's lots of bleeding), and you finally put on your nice panties, it comes in a flood again.  Unbelievable.  Be prepared.  Stock pads in every size, so you are never without.  Always play it safe.  Don't wear your nice panties.  

8. Unattractive full-coverage undies




Speaking of panties, hide your pretty, lacy, barely there Victoria's Secret panties in the back of the drawer and go to Target and pick up some Hanes Her Way full-coverage undies in black.  Just trust me on this.  Nothing is more uncomfortable than wearing a full sized pad in a thong. 

7. A good book

If it's your first baby and even if it's not, you will be spending a lot of time nursing / bottle feeding or pumping, and a book is crucial.  Whether it's an easy read or a baby book or something else, have a book handy.  I have read more in the last four weeks than I have in the last four months.  I even started a one year Bible plan because when it's 4am, what else would I want to do? 

6. Shakeology


I know you're thinking, "Okay, here she goes..."  But seriously, I barely have time to eat these days and I love to eat.  I would NEVER eat breakfast if it weren't for my Shakeology.  And if you're breastfeeding, the nutrients, vitamins and superfoods that this shake offers are unmatched.

5. Breast Pump

If you're breastfeeding you need a breast pump because without a breast pump you can't go anywhere alone. And I know it's only been a few weeks, but you need to go somewhere alone.  You need a date night with your husband and you can't do that without a breast pump.  Go get a breast pump.  

4. A Netflix show to binge watch

Because let's be honest, you can only do so much reading, right?  Currently, I am in the middle of Gilmore Girls, but other excellent binge-worthy shows are Friday Night Lights (Sienna), and Felicity (the twins).  Sometimes you just need to zone out and watch TV. 

3. Family

I truly don't know how women have babies without their mothers and/or other family around.  If you are reading this, and have had a baby with no family support, you have all of my respect and admiration.  My husband is unbelievably helpful.  He gets everything done that needs to be done without me asking.  I am the luckiest. 

My mom has been there for every birth and of course in the weeks following to offer support and help.  My mother-in-law has generously and willingly taken charge of my older kiddos when it's go-time, and also plays a huge role around the house helping out however she can.  And those are just my mom(s)!  My dad, father-in-law, sister-in-law, brother, and friends have completely surrounded us these last few weeks.  I am so blessed. 

So if you don't have family around, find a friend.  Support from someone who loves you is vital.  

2. Attractive nursing bras


I have found this item to be WAY more important than you would initially think.  I learned my lesson on this with Sienna, and implemented a solution with the boys.  

Here's the thing, you already feel super uncomfortable in your body.  Your belly is flabby and loose, your boobs are huge and hard.  You barely have time to shower, let alone do your hair and put makeup on.  Cap it off with the ugly nursing bras, and it was all just more than I could handle.  

Let me clarify quickly, I am not talking about the actual nursing bras, but the sleep bras you might wear around the house.  Those were the bane of my existence.  I put one on and felt 10 times less attractive than I already was.  

As I was nearing my due date with the twins, I decided to find an alternative and I did!  I found fun, bright, lacy, and comfortable bralettes from Victoria's Secret.  They served the same purpose as a nursing bra with no uncomfortable seams and easy access to your breasts.  Honestly, it made such a difference wearing those versus the ugly beige ones.  Try it.  I dare you. 

1. Jesus

Let me reiterate that this list is entirely of my own opinion.  And in my experience, I needed Jesus first and foremost.  There are so many unknowns as a mother, so much that we want to control and can't, so many frustrating, disappointing, difficult, and even hopeless moments...that without Jesus, I couldn't do this.  He is my comfort and hope and strength.  He is the source of all wisdom and grace and love.  Not one other item on this list (not even a good Netflix show) can compare to the arms of Jesus.  He is my #1 must-have.

So that's my list.  But I am dying to know...what would make it on to your list?  I know I've missed some good ones!  Share below! 



No comments:

Post a Comment