Tuesday, July 5, 2016

17 Days Postpartum

For weeks, I have been trying to figure out how to post about this and share my postpartum progress.  I have been insecure, unsure, and nervous about the whole thing. 

Would you believe me if I said I am as surprised as anyone by these pictures?  I have never bounced back from a pregnancy so quickly.  My stomach has never retained that kind of muscle tone just 17 days after having a baby.  

Would you believe me if I told you I am almost embarrassed to show these pictures?  Would you believe me if I said I am mildly disappointed, as I was looking forward to a more drastic transformation when I start working out in a few weeks?  

And then I realized something.  This is the best transformation yet.  My transformation started the minute I pressed play on P90X3 in February of 2014 after having twins.  For the next 18 months, I worked out consistently, drank my Shakeology daily, and did my best to make healthy choices.  Before I became pregnant with baby #4, I was in the best shape of my life.  

But it didn't stop there.  I continued to workout 3-5 times/week, 35 weeks in to my pregnancy.   I continued to drink my shake daily.  I wish I could say I ate super healthy and clean throughout my pregnancy, but then I would by lying.  I didn't.  ;)

But don't you see? All the work I had done up until I delivered my sweet girl contributed to this postpartum transformation.  I didn't have to start at zero.  I get to pick up {close} to where I left off.  

When this picture was taken, I was still 10 pounds above my pre-pregnancy weight.  Even now the skin around my tummy is loose and wrinkly (and that may never change).  I don't fit it to all of my clothes yet.  And my hips are wider than before.

I am not yet there.  But I don't have to start over.

Let me be abundantly clear on something.  I do not think any woman should put pressure on herself to look the way she did before she became a mother.  Our bodies aren't the same after we've had babies and they may never be the same again.  And that is okay.  

Pregnancy affects every woman differently and one woman's body will respond differently than another's.  That's okay.  

But do I think investing in your health before your pregnancy and during your pregnancy  will help your postpartum transformation?  Absolutely.  Do I think it's possible and important to feel healthy and confident in your postpartum body?  Yes I do.  

This blog post is not about convincing you to look like me.  This post is to share my journey (the way I've been doing the past 2 1/2 years), and challenge and encourage you to do YOUR best for YOUR body.  It's to show you that you don't always have to start from square one after you've had a baby.  It's to show you that pregnancy doesn't have to equal inactivity and binge eating. 

My best advice?  Don't wait until your due date to start your transformation.  Start today.  Do some yoga.  Eat clean. Go for a walk.  Eat more veggies.  Invest in your health. 

Not sure where to start? I would love to talk to you and help you invest in  your self. Please feel free to visit me on Facebook or send me an email.

What was your postpartum journey like? I would love to share stories- and to show new moms that everyone's journey is different! Comment below!



No comments:

Post a Comment