Monday, July 6, 2015

Confessions of a Girl Who Loves To Eat

Beachbody coach or not, I struggle when it comes to consistently eating well.  I have compiled a list of 5 reasons that I struggle to maintain a healthy nutrition agenda.  

1. I am a girl with a big appetite.  

I've never understood those people who just forget to eat.  I am usually planning my lunch before I've even tasted my breakfast. 

In middle school, I used to bring the largest lunch of all my friends and was known (and gently teased) for finishing off what another kid couldn't eat.  

In high school, when I was challenged to eat a whole medium pizza (8 slices), I did.  

At a buffet, I am nearly always the first one to pop back up for seconds.  

When Matt and I split a meal, it's half and half (never mind the fact that he is nearly 100 pounds heavier than me)!  Poor Matt never gets to FINISH off my plate the way most men get to enjoy the leftovers of their wives' meals. 

Let me put it this way...I have literally had very real ideas of creating a spin-off of the show "Man vs Food".  I, of course, would call it "Little Girl vs Food"...because who wouldn't tune in to watch a petite, muscular, seemingly lady-like gal CRUSH some food? I would watch that. And that just goes to show how big my appetite really is.

I love to eat and I can EAT.A.LOT.

2. Cheeseburgers are my favorite food.

Why is this a problem?  Because I know other women with big appetites, but it seems a few of them actually prefer to fill themselves up with salmon and broccoli and salad and quinoa.  

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy healthy food...but not as much as I enjoy a HUGE, greasy, bacon cheeseburger (with fries of course).  OR a large pizza with extra cheese.  (Is anyone else hungry yet?)

When people ask me what my favorite kind of food is...the answer is easy.  Bar food.  Literally, the kind of food you find in a sports bar is my favorite food.  Could I choose a worst genre of food?  (Do foods have genres?)

3. I am very content with how I look and am sitting at my ideal body weight/size.

Again, why is this a problem?  Because I'm not motivated.  I am one of those lucky ones that can get by with a little unhealthy eating and maintain their weight and physique.  

So if I can maintain my weight even when I make poor food choices, why would I be motivated to choose the grilled chicken and veggies over the steak and baked potato?

I am working on capturing the idea that my food choices should not be based on how I look, but on my overall health.  And I'm trying...I really am!  But I'm not totally there yet.  

4. I, too, fall prey to emotional eating. 

When I am stressed and overwhelmed...these are the feelings that drive me to eat.  In those moments, carrot sticks and hummus don't cut it.  I want the chips and queso.  I want the pint of Ben and Jerry's Half Baked (the best flavor) ice cream!  

After a long morning of being a mom, feeding the kids lunch, entertaining them outside, and FINALLY getting them down for a nap...the ONLY thing I want to do is curl up on the couch, watch the Bachelorette, and snack on something unhealthy.  Like I said...these are my "confessions".  

5. I am not an excellent or creative cook.

It's really not my idea of fun to admit publicly that I am not that great of a cook : )  I am getting better, but man, I just don't enjoy it that much.  It overwhelms me to look through recipes, find a healthy meal, put in the time, and then HOPE it turns out delicious, or at least edible enough that your two year old twins don't spit it out and throw it on the floor.  Is that so much to ask for?  

Cooking just doesn't come naturally to me.  At this point, I am unable to look through my cupboards and refrigerator and just WHIP something up with the ingredients that I have.  My mind doesn't work that way.  So every meal takes a lot of planning and preparation, and frankly, I find it exhausting.  

So now you know.  I struggle.  I am far from perfect when it comes to eating 100% clean, balanced, well-portioned meals all the time.  But I am working on it.  I am striving to be better.  I am slowly changing my mindset and perspective on food and what it means to me.  

So stay tuned for updates and my tips and tricks for eating healthy...even when you are a "girl who loves to eat"!  






1 comment:

  1. Girl I love you this is wonderful thank you...
    You're in the ZONE

    ReplyDelete