Friday, July 10, 2015

The Hardest Job in the World

Being a mom is hard.  It's draining.  It's exhausting.  Someone always needs something.  There are constantly hands grabbing you, reaching for you.  "Mama" rings constantly in your ears.  Diapers are never-ending.  And feeding them?  Don't get me started.  

Some days feel like an eternity...heck, the two hours leading up to bed time can feel like an eternity.  I've never been so physically worn out and emotionally drained as when I have a day at home with all three kids by myself.  Seriously.  Never.  Not as a Division I college athlete, not as the wife of a major league baseball player, and not even the summer I competed in a fitness competition.  

Tantrums and attitudes, bribery and negotiations, and whining...lots and lots of whining fill my days.  Sometimes I could just scream.  And sometimes, unfortunately, I do.  Sometimes I just want to quit.  But that of course is not an option (also unfortunate).  There are moments when I am POSITIVE that if I have to pick up one more cheerio off the ground, I'll officially lose it.  

And then Price will toddle over with his bow-legged, pigeon-toed gait, and crawl in to my lap, book in hand.  

Or Sienna, out of the blue, and unprompted, will quietly utter, "I love you, Mama."

Or Maddox will spontaneously give Price a huge hug and kiss.  

One perfect moment in the midst of seemingly never-ending imperfect moments...makes it all okay.  One hug, one act of sibling affection, one mischievous grin brings everything back in to perspective.  

In those perfect moments I could nearly cry because of God's grace.  

In those moments when I allow myself to sit back and just take it all in, I am overwhelmed with gratitude that these are MY babies.  I get to keep them?!  I can hardly believe it.  

In those sacred 10 seconds before everything goes back to chaos, I think of the women who struggle with infertility or the mamas who have lost a child, and I can hardly breathe.

So when Price is playing in the toilet, and when Maddox has poop on his fingers, and Sienna hasn't stopped talking for three hours straight...I hope to be able to take a deep breath, and quietly say:

"I am the luckiest girl in the world.  I can't BELIEVE I get to raise these beautiful, brilliant children and love on them all day, everyday."



No comments:

Post a Comment