Thursday, June 18, 2015

Childbirth In All It's Glory

Is it me or is everyone you know having a baby or due with one any minute?!  With babies being born or about to be born everywhere I turn, I am vividly reminded of having my first baby, Sienna Rose.  

It was five days before my due date in Cleveland, OH, and I knew I was in labor, but the contractions were inconsistent and slow, so Matt, my parents, and my mother-in-law, Cindy, decided we were hungry, so at about 6:30 PM I consumed half a cheeseburger and fries.

Meanwhile, my contractions had suddenly become stronger, so in the midst of eating,  I periodically had to step outside of the restaurant, so I could be alone and experience the contractions without 50 pairs of eyes on me.  And yes, our waitress was mildly freaked out.

Upon returning home, I still wanted to wait it out because I refused to be the girl who shows up to the hospital TOO EARLY.  I texted my friend and she said I should go to the hospital when I could no longer talk during a contraction.  Oh.  I hadn't been able to talk during my contractions for the last hour or so! 



Off to the hospital we went, and in the front seat, I was literally writhing in pain and during the check-in process, I was hardly able to give the nurses the information we needed.  Finally, at 8:45, I was in my room, and they were going to see how dilated I was.  I was certain that i must be 7-8 centimeters.  4.5 centimeters.  I was angry.  I wanted to have a natural water birth with no epidural, but at this point I was seriously doubting my ability to do that.  If I was in this much pain at only 4.5 centimeters, there was NO way I could last another 6 hours.  

I was discouraged, defeated, and experiencing pain like I've never experienced it before.  My contractions did not come in waves, but were coming one after another with no rest in between.  I was also angry about that.  What happened to that minute or two rest I was supposed to have in between each horrific, painful, cramp taking over my body?!  

45 minutes later, my doula told the nurse to check me again because either the baby was sunny side-up OR I was progressing very quickly.  Sure enough, just 45 minutes later, I was already at 8 centimeters.  

I crawled in to the birthing tub, my water broke, and it was time to push.  Looking back, I have to laugh because I had brought a cute little sports bra to wear in the tub for modesty's sake.  In the throes of  natural childbirth, decency goes out the window.  I am pretty sure I TORE my hospital gown off and JUMPED in to that tub as much as a 39 week pregnant girl can.  

I was so happy to start pushing because that meant the contractions would feel differently and I was just pushing!  Well let me tell you...the don't call it the ring of fire for nothing.  WOW.  The pain of pushing (for me) was a completely different kind of pain, though no less intense than contractions.  

At 10:33 pm, just four hours after eating a cheeseburger and less than two hours after arriving at the hospital, my slimy, swollen, hairy daughter was born.  (I'm sorry...I'm one of those people who don't find newborns all that beautiful...even my own!)  

In the movies, the mom always frantically and lovingly asks, "Is she okay?  Is she healthy?  Does she have ten fingers and ten toes?!"  I can say with absolute honesty, those words didn't even cross my mind.  The very FIRST thing I said to myself was, "THANK GOD that's over."  Oops.  Sorry Sienna. 

I do remember one touchy-feely, sweet moment though.  When they put her in my arms, she opened her eyes, and stared right in to mine.  I remember the room seemed fuzzier and quieter and life slowed down just in that moment.  And then it was over, and it was out of the tub for me.  I had a few complications down under, having to do with some tearing and birthing my placenta.  Lovely, I know.  

PS: Matt gagged twice during the course of all this.  First, when her head started to come out...he literally had to walk away, and wasn't too impressed with the miracle of birth at that moment.  And then afterwards, someone had casually just left the placenta laying out, which Matt happened to catch a glance of.  Once again, he had to leave the premises and get his gag reflex under control.  Thinking about both of those moments makes me laugh out loud.  

PPS: These are the nice pictures.  I have some pictures of me still in the birthing tub that could probably feature on Ellen's "Awkward Family Photos" segment!






No comments:

Post a Comment