Saturday, October 11, 2014

Though She Be But Little, She Is Fierce


A friend sent me a blog post called 10 Things I Want My Daughter To Know About Working Out and it completely inspired me to think about how I want Sienna to view health and fitness.  My daughter is three years old, and she sees everything.  EVERYTHING.  Am I sending her the right messages?  Does she see me looking myself up and down in the mirror critiquing this and that?  Does she hear me talk negatively about my own body or heaven forbid, someone else's?  Does she watch me prioritize my workouts before all other things?  Does she notice that I never indulge in a delicious, fattening dessert?  

Happily I can answer "No" to many of these questions.  I am not afraid to crush some cookie dough and I am not in a habit of negative self-talk, especially out loud.  But what this blog made me realize is that at least for right now, while she is still young and impressionable, I have the opportunity to mold her perspective and mindset on what a healthy balance looks like.



  • I want her to feel the ache of sore muscles knowing her body is becoming stronger.  
  • I want her to experience the ecstasy of finishing a long, hard run.
  • I want her to grit her teeth in determination.
  • I want her to sweat the sweat of discipline. 
  • I want her to know the anticipation and adrenaline rush of competition.
  • I want her to recognize that inner beauty and strength result in physical beauty and strength.
  • I want her to be the best version of herself, exactly who God created her to be.  
  • I want her to smile with satisfaction after accomplishing a physical feat. 
  • I want her to learn to love God's beautiful creation in a variety of ways (i.e. biking, swimming, hiking, para-gliding, etc)
  • I want her to live without fear or abandon, knowing she can do anything. 
  • I want her to create the lasting friendships that are a result of a mutual passion for health and fitness.
  • I want her to go on adventures, carving her own paths. 
  • I want her to treasure and cherish the body God has given her. 
Is this too much to ask?  I hope not.  Can I create this idealistic approach in this perfection-crazed society.  I hope so.  

What is one message about health and fitness you want to pass on to your children?




No comments:

Post a Comment