Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Five for Five



Last week, a friend messaged me and said she was in a workout rut, and did I have any tips?  I laughed to myself knowing that I too was lacking motivation in the exercise department, so what advice could I give?  I quickly wrote back, explained how I hadn't worked out more than 3 times/week in the last two months, but was ready to get back on track.  And then I did it.  I initiated accountability in my life.  I said, "My goal is to get five workouts in this week.  Would you like to hold each other accountable?"  

Do you want to know how many workouts I did that week?  Five.  I put on my workout clothes, stuck my PiYo or T25 DVD in, pressed play, and I sweated.  I sweated five times last week.  How did I manage to get five workouts in when that seemed nearly impossible just the previous week?  Was my friend going to give me some kind of grand reward?  Was she holding a gun to my head?  Was I suddenly just more motivated and finally "felt like it"?  Nope.  But at the end of every day, I sent my friend a short, simple message that said, "Hey!  I did T25 today.  I am 2 for 2."  Or, "Hey, I am 4 for 4!  I got my PiYo in today."

Seriously...that's it.  I wanted to be able to message those few seemingly insignificant sentences to my friend at the end of every day.  That is why I suddenly found the time, energy, and motivation to get my workouts in.  Do you see how simple that is?  We didn't work out together in person.  We didn't have to arrange a time to meet at the gym everyday. We didn't have to bribe each other with ice cream or a pedicure.  We made an agreement, and we both stuck to it.  

Where do you need accountability in your life?  What would that look like?  Who would you ask?  Think about it, and then do it.  


No comments:

Post a Comment