Monday, February 8, 2016

Survival vs Impact

On day one of my "Eat Pray Hustle" study by Havilah Cunnington, the question was...

"Do you believe God could use you to reach your world?"

One week ago, I journaled my response...

"I do believe God can use me to reach my world, but I don't think about it enough.  I don't consider it often.  Most days, it's hard to survive what's right in front of me, let alone think about my impact on the world."

Can anyone else relate to that?  The reality of it makes me laugh.  I am currently sitting at my kitchen table in yesterday's makeup, sending messages, blogging, all while a huge glob of oatmeal has been on my floor for the past three hours, thanks to this morning's breakfast.

Impact the world?  Me?  Can anyone else relate? : )

I can't even prioritize cleaning up oatmeal, let alone fit in to my schedule, "change the world today". 

BUT as I reviewed the study from this past week, I am realizing that impacting our world has much less to do with some grand plan, than some heroic action, than some life-changing decision.   

Impacting our world happens in the little moments.  It happens while I'm cleaning up oatmeal, checking in on a friend, cuddling a fussy toddler, making breakfast for my husband (because that doesn't happen very often anymore), or retrieving yet again just "ONE MORE" cup of water before my 4 year old will finally go to sleep.

Just yesterday at church, Pastor Matt Roden said something exactly in line with what I've been learning all week.  "Resting in God is not one more thing TO DO, but it's the WAY YOU DO everything you have to do."  I believe that's how we best impact the world.  We sit at the feet of Jesus WHILE doing everything we have to.  We live life slowly, eager to listen to the voice of God, even in the midst of errands and cooking and breaking up toddler fist-fights (does that only happen at my house?).  

Doesn't it sound easy?  ;)  It's not.  I'm quite sure of that.  As a matter of fact, I think it's a discipline.  It takes practice to consistently live in the presence of the Holy Spirit.  It takes commitment and sacrifice to choose rest and stillness over the distractions of life.  

We can all impact the world, one step at a time, one kind word at a time, one small decision to the next.  

1 comment: