Thursday, August 14, 2014

Morning Me Time



When I started writing this blog, I anticipated it primarily being a fitness blog with fitness-related content.  But over the last two months, as My Why has become more clear, I am feeling this itch to talk about my life as a mom too.  So I hope that's okay.

My daughter, Sienna, will be 3 in just a few weeks, and my twin boys, Price and Maddox, are 9 months old.  My days are long.  My days are busy...non-stop busy.  Don't get me wrong, I always find time to do my 30 minute workout and answer my Beachbody business-related messages.  But I came to realize that wasn't enough.  In order to have the patience and self control I needed to survive my days without completely flipping out (no sarcasm there), I needed quiet "ME" time.  And more than anything, I needed "GOD" time.  

So for months, I KNEW I should get up 1 hour before my daughter wakes up, get my coffee, and be still.  But I didn't do it...and I didn't do it...and I didn't do it.  Until one day, I did.  I have hardly missed a day since.  

The difference is astounding.  

Instead of Sienna interrupting my sleep and greeting her grumpily, I look forward to her peeking those beautiful eyes around the corner and delightfully (yes, delightfully) wishing her a "Good morning, beautiful!"  

Instead of feeling like I am in a losing race from the moment I wake up until the last child is in bed, I approach the day at an even, steady pace.  (Admittedly, the even, steady pace doesn't always last)

Instead of waking up overwhelmed with my duties, I am confident and excited to experience life with my children, while simultaneously pursuing my dreams, as well.  

And most importantly, I feel at home in my relationship with God.  He doesn't feel far away.  Spending that 45 minutes in prayer and gratitude gives me hope and passion in my role as a mother.

Real Talk:

Do I jump out of bed humming?  NO, but it's less difficult waking up than I thought.
Do I still lose it on my kids?  YES, but less often.
Do I always feel completely content and at peace?  NO, but it sure helps.
Do I do it everyday?  NO, but I do it Monday thru Friday.

All that to say, I feel like in doing this, I discovered this great big secret of motherhood.  It has made me a better mom and a better wife and a better everything.  I implore you...if you feel like you are barely keeping your head above water, try this.  Start small.  Start with 15 minutes of quiet.  Start somewhere.  Sometime.  Mamas need time to themselves.  They need time where they are not mamas.  

What do you do for YOU?  And when?  I would love to hear from you!






1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this! It is so right where I was today.Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete