Monday, March 9, 2015

How To Be Happy

The truth is, I've been struggling with discontentment.  I've been unnecessarily overwhelmed and stressed out.  I've been discouraged.  

Why?  It's so obvious.  It didn't take much self-evaluation or meditation to figure this one out.  

Comparison.  I've been comparing myself to others.  I've been comparing my business to someone else's business.  I've been comparing my weaknesses to someone else's strengths.  

Comparison.  It should be a dirty word considering the monumental harm it can have on yourself, your relationships, your life.  

As my inner dialogue goes down a destructive path, I pull back.  I stop.  And I remember the countless reasons I am so BLESSED.  Honestly, it's embarrassing to admit that I struggle with discontentment because my life is so entirely abundant.  

Nevertheless, I am human.  But being human is not an excuse.  This struggle only serves to remind me how utterly I depend on God's grace.  Only He could forgive my ingratitude and discontent.  

What's insane is how EASY it is to cure the disease of comparison.  It is instantly gone by serving up some thankfulness.  Some days I need a hundred doses of gratitude to fight off the negative thoughts, but that's okay.  The important thing is to stop, remember, and thank.  

Where do you struggle with discontentment?  Where do you find yourself comparing the most?  Is it in your appearance?  Your marriage?  Your house?  Your job?  Your income statement?  Your children?  Your social life?

The great news is that wherever you struggle, gratefulness is the cure-all.  Humility will get you back on track every.single.time.



1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love this. So honest and true!! Well said my friend!

    ReplyDelete