Thursday, March 19, 2015

PiYo Does the Body Good

I started doing PiYo this week.  It's been quite a few months since I pressed play on PiYo.  To be honest, in the past, PiYo was a little too slow for me.  It wasn't quite enough of a challenge.  I missed the high-impact intensity of my P90X3 or T25.  

I believe your body goes through changes, makes adjustments, and tells you what it needs. There are some months when my body won't respond to a certain kind of workout or nutrition program that has always been great in the past.  There are seasons when my body can't handle an extreme exercise regimen.  

This week, today, right now, my body is craving PiYo.  I don't ever remember enjoying PiYo the way I have the last two days.  It is literally soothing to not just my body, but my soul.  Fitness is not just about running eight miles or lifting weights or a crazy plyometrics routine.  

Fitness includes flexibility, stretching your limbs, giving attention to some of the under-used, under-conditioned, and under-valued, smaller muscles of your core.  Fitness should be nourishing to your soul, as well as your body.  

This morning, I woke up before everyone else, popped PiYo in, and proceeded to plank, downward dog, and just breathe.  There was only the dim light of my lamp, the TV, and the dawn light coming in.  It was incredible and comforting and invigorating.  

Please know, that this kind of talk for me is not the norm.  Again, I am a high-intensity, ex-pole-vaulter, extreme workout kind of girl.  

But I can't deny the power of PiYo.  

If your body (or soul) has taken a hit, PiYo.  If you want to change your workout routine up, then PiYo.  If you want a lower impact workout to mix in with your cross-fit or marathon runs, PiYo.  If you haven't been active in years, and don't know where to start, PiYo.  

In the past, I have not given PiYo the credit it deserves, but I am a changed woman, and can't wait to spread the word.  

No comments:

Post a Comment