Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Why You Need A Why



Why will drag yourself out of that down feather bed at 6:30 AM on a cold day before your kids wake up?  

Why will you take the time every Sunday to plan and prepare your meals for the next few days?

Why will you work out for the fourth day in a row even though your body aches in a places you didn't know existed?

Why will you say, "No thank you", to a piece of birthday cake at your office?

Why will you not succumb to your children's pleas for frozen chicken nuggets?  

Why will you refuse to listen to the voice in your head that says, "You can't do this!"?  

I don't know.  YOU.TELL.ME. 

Do you get it?  Do you understand why I asked these questions?  The point is, you will not wake up early, you will not get your workouts in, and you will not fight off temptation if you don't know WHY you are trying to do it.  

"Well I want to lose 10 pounds", you say.  Well I say, that's not enough.  
"But I want to get healthy!"  Still not enough. 
"I want to eat clean." Great, but WHY?  

WHY?  WHY?  WHY?  WHY?  WHY?  WHY?

Do you feel my passion?  It's not enough to just want to lose 10 pounds. It's not enough to just want to get healthy.  Those great aspirations will not get you out of bed in the morning.  

So what will?  

"I want to go to the beach this summer in a new bikini with confidence!"

"I want my children to look at me as their shining example of what healthy looks like!"  

"I want to feel as sexy as I did on my wedding day!"

"I want to hike mountains and swim in oceans and ride through canyons!"  

Those kinds of dreams and visions will not just drag you out of bed in the morning, but you will rise and attack your day with a vengeance!  

Do you see the difference?  Do you see how a WHY is different than a GOAL?  Your WHY is your big picture, and your goal is the measurable steps you take to get there.  

Goals are incredibly important, and you will not reach your WHY without goals, but I also believe you will not achieve your goals without a big enough WHY to keep you going day after day, week after week, and month after month, especially when it feels like you are spinning your wheels.

So when thinking about your fitness plan (or any plan for that matter), start with WHY.  How do you want to feel?  Who do you want to be?  What do you want others to see when they look at you?  The answers to these questions will make up your WHY.  And once you have a firm and strong WHY, you can formulate the goals needed to get you there.   




2 comments: