Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Post-Baby Body

I am in a "moms of twins" group on facebook, and a woman posed a question...

"I'm not looking for workout ideas, diet fads, or anything like that...I'm just wondering if there are moms out there that have made peace with their changed, post-pregnancy body...knowing it will never be the same as it was before."

It's a strange and confusing thing navigating your post-baby body.  How do you walk that fine line of acceptance and contentment, knowing that some things will most likely just NEVER be the same, while still striving to be the healthiest, best version of yourself?  

Does anyone else struggle with this?  

It IS confusing.  How hard should you try?  How far should you push yourself?  How much effort should you put forth?  

On the other end of the spectrum, you face questions like...How much grace do you give yourself?  When do you get rid of the excuses?  How long do you put everyone else before YOU?  When do you start investing back in to yourself?

Perhaps it is all about your purpose and end-goal.  Are you spending three hours at the gym trying to look like your 21 year old self?  Are you avoiding mirrors because you don't recognize the woman looking back at you? 

What is the balance?  How do you find the balance?  

I certainly don't know.  I probably lean too far on the "determined to look like my 21 year old self" end of the scale.  But I am getting better.  Although on the outside, I am 90% back to my pre-baby(s) body, there are parts of me that will never be the same.  

My tummy is flat, but the skin on my tummy is still wrinkly.  And my poor boobs...they really took a beating.  They rebounded after my Sienna, but the twins did them in for good, I'm afraid.  

I believe you need to pursue your best self, while being very aware and accepting of the fact that some things will never be the same...or at least not be in the same place.  :) 

I believe you need to find the space, the body, the mentality where you feel healthy and confident.  And health and confidence will look different on everybody.  It will be a different size, a different shape, a different exercise routine, and a different nutrition plan for everyone.  

But I do believe you need to find that place.  You owe it to yourself, your husband, and your kids to be healthy and confident.  Isn't that the example you want to show your children?  Don't you want them to see what a proud, beautiful woman looks like on their mom?  

Invest in yourself.  Start small.  Replace one bad habit with one good habit.  Then do it again.  And again.  And again...until you are happy with you.  


If you aren't sure where to start, check out my free two-week fitness bootcamp here!









No comments:

Post a Comment