Wednesday, February 11, 2015

What Matter Most



As a mom, I have realized how little control I have over my schedule, my to-do list, nap times, bed times, meal times, and pretty much LIFE in general.  Have you just been tempted to throw your hands up, resolve that you just WON’T get anything done, and call it a day?!  Yeah, me too. 

Have you found yourself pushing your kids aside, saying “just one more minute” for forty-seven minutes straight, shushing your children, and scolding your three year old for nothing more than just being three all in an effort to wash that last dish, send out that important email, or get your workout in? Yeah, me too. 

Are those our only two options?  Goodness, I hope not.  I am terribly far from perfect.  Finding the balance of being somewhat productive while still actively engaging with my children is a constant battle.  But I am getting closer.  And on good days, I can track my day, and figure out what worked. 

We all have AT LEAST fifteen things we COULD do every single day.  We all have endless to-do lists, unfinished projects, cards to write, groceries to shop for, calls to make, and dinners to cook.  But I have learned to look through my list of twenty-five to-do items, accurately prioritize, and narrow my list down to only three to five non-negotiable to-dos. 

These are the things that I HAVE to get done no matter what.  These are the things that if I have to stay up later that night, or put the TV on for the kids, or lock myself in my room for even just ten minutes, these things HAVE to get done. 

How is this helpful?  Knowing ahead of time what I NEED to get done and working from a list, totally frees me up.  I can put my phone away and play with my children without that nagging feeling of “I have to do this.  I have to do that.  What time is it?  I can’t forget about that person.” 

I can play on the floor with my babies and (usually) resist the urge to get out the broom and start sweeping.  I can read books to my little girl without constantly checking the notifications on my phone. 

I can go through my day with peace knowing that the most important things on my list WILL get done and hey, if I have time to do a few more things, great!  If not, no big deal!

Making my list of non-negotiables has forced me to become more organized and therefore more efficient and effective with the time I do have.  But more importantly my list of non-negotiables has allowed me to focus on what matters most. 


And the things that matter most- slobbery kisses, crinkly noses, silly three year old words, impromptu dance parties, acts of sibling affection, and gap-toothed smiles- can’t be categorized on a to-do list.



No comments:

Post a Comment