Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Car Accidents and Other Day Ruiners

Last Friday, my husband surprised me with a luxurious massage and spa treatment at a cute, quaint local hotel.  The therapist (a very close family friend) took her time, giving attention to every knot, every spot of tension, and took wonderful care of me.  

I left feeling rejuvenated, refreshed, and on top of the world.  I was going to take the afternoon and attack my to-do list with gusto.  

Then I got in a car accident.  First of all, I was 100% fine and so was the other driver.  It was more than a fender-bender, but nothing too serious.  If you're going to get in a car accident, this was best case scenario.  

But it was my fault.  We had to call the cops, call our insurance companies, and call our husbands (Eek!)  ; )  

One hour later, I was back on the road, feeling not quite so on top of the world!  My to-do list went out the window as I shakily drove home.  

Life happens.  Things don't always go our way.  Plans change.  

How do you respond?  How do you move forward and adjust your expectations?  How do you maintain a semblance of calm when you want to "freak your head out" (as my daughter would say)?  

On Friday, a car accident derailed me.  As I nervously pulled over, I took some deep breaths (that actually works)!  I quickly thanked God for keeping me and the other passenger safe (gratitude is the key ingredient).  And as I thought about my big plans for the afternoon that were definitely not happening now...I realized that the world would and could go on without my to-do items being checked off.  (Naturally, this was mind-blowing).  

The car accident gave me a fresh perspective.  It gave me a chance to remember what is important and not to sweat the small stuff.  It made me realize that so much of what we think we NEED to get done...does not actually NEED to get done.  

Is there enough margin in my life for LIFE?  Is there enough white space in my schedule for car accidents and other day ruiners (the key being, they don't actually have to be day RUINERS)?  

I hope so.  I hope that I have enough freedom and joy and peace to not over-react when things don't go my way.  I hope I have enough lightheartedness and free-spiritedness (is that a real word?) to laugh in the face of the unexpected.  

I am, in fact, grateful for my car accident.  It gave me the opportunity to grow and learn and test my character, as most frustrating, annoying, difficult, and sad things tend to do.  

Oh and PS: the other passenger was the NICEST woman I have ever met.  She perhaps is the reason for this whole article.  She was in no way at fault (despite the huge dent in her vehicle), but the serenity, compassion, and kindness she showed me was an inspiring example of what this blog is about. 





2 comments:

  1. Your car accident story is such an inspirational piece. I’m glad to hear no one was hurt so badly. Maybe, that incident was ought to happen, for you to reflect on some important things in life – an opportunity to apprehend what wrong and recognize the right. I commend you for the positive attitude and the courage you showed in the midst of chaos, as well as for coming up for new perspective that incident has provided you. Thanks for sharing your experience, Dara. All the best to you!

    Kim Hunter

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to know that you took that car accident experience of yours as a lesson. I'm also glad that you and the other driver handled the situation lightly and understood each other well. It is, I guess, the best way to take situations like this one. Well I hope that you will not be engaged in another car accident ever again. Have a great day, Dara! :-)

    Jerry Brady @ Lambert And Williams

    ReplyDelete